Evolution of our Web Design

Here is a look back at our web development over the years. Please don't laugh at us too much.

 

First Web Presence (1/1/03)

The 1 Second Film's first online presence was back in 2003 as a single html page located at www.nirvan.com/the_one_second_film.html. The project sat there for several years until I started selling credits again in 2004.

HTML site built with Dreamweaver

....................................

Website #2: www.the1secondfilm.com (4/2/04)  

In 2004, I had started selling producer credits again, mostly on the streets. I registered "the1secondfilm.com" and  started adding a few more HTML pages with my non-existant web-design skills. I would sell credits during the day, and enter names into the HTML at night. I also started putting the names in a spreadsheet to help keep track of stuff. After a few hundred names, the producer credit HTML pages began crashing, and I started looking for ways to automate. Check out this early list of Producer credits.

HTML site built with Dreamweaver

.................................................

Static Site Designs (2004 - 2007)

Our site design kept evolving as we continued to fundraise. After getting listed on IMDb, we began receiving a lot of online donations from around the world. This presented a lot of challenges, as we were still entering names by hand. We had to make separate pages for Executive Producers, Producers, and Associate Producers. Meanwhile, our crew started sending in photos, bios, videos, and perfect moments, which led to us researching ways to manage and share the content. Eventually, we learned about CMS (Content Management Systems), and began looking for ways to automate the donation process while also integrating social media features. We tried hiring several different developers. Years passed, but the site wasn't getting completed... it was very frustrating. Meanwhile, we kept entering everything by hand.

HTML site built with Dreamweaver

.................................................

 

First Automated Site (April, 2007)

In 2007, we finally automated the sign up process. We built the new site using Drupal 4.7, an open-source CMS to help manage our site content. We also introduced a few rough social-networking features that we intended to improve upon. The day we launched our site, we were featured on the homepage of digg.com. The resulting traffic completely melted our servers. Pair.com generously offered to donate web hosting to help us handle the increase in web traffic. This site was used to fundraise and organize a cross country tour (our Road to Oprah quest). The tour was organized online with the help of our crew, and while we pulled it off, we also found a lot of limitations in our site's ability to scale up participation. We incorporated these lessons learned into the design of our next site.

Dynamic site built using Drupal 4

.................................................

New Drupal Site (January, 2010)

We started the second major round of web development in 2008 to upgrade to Drupal 5.   Our new site was designed to allow more people to participate in helpful ways. We made the project free to join to remove any barriers to entry.  Everyone who joins is now given a Special Thanks credit. We also introduced Publicist credits, participation points, and Groups (based on previous volunteer data). It took  a year to raise funds, design, and plan the site, and then another year to get it built. The site is a work in progress, and represents a big step toward building a community of participants for future projects.

 Dynamic site built using Drupal 5
Site Credits

 

Site Archive

Check out our past web sites via the Internet Archive's Way Back Machine:

Wayback Machine